Mind the Gap: Questions about Power for Storytellers
As always, conversation is encouraged as we pass the tea and biscuits.
- "How big is the power gap between me and my main character?"
- "What kinds of power gaps exist between me and my characters in the time and place of their story?" (i.e., class, culture, education...)
- "How do these gaps matter in the time and place of potential receivers of my story?"
- "How have I crossed those gaps in real life?"
- "Given my answers to 1-4, should I begin the work of listening, learning, and loving needed to tell this story? Or should I leave it for another to tell?"