Putting imagination, experience, empathy, and research to work
Children’s literature celebrates both our shared history and our unique cultures. Join Donna Jo Napoli (Bound) and Mitali Perkins (Bamboo People) as they help us understand the power of writing with a strong cultural voice. Through impeccable research, imagination, empathy, and experience, a true cultural voice can be achieved. Our goal at Highlights is to gather a community of open-minded children’s book authors April 26-29, 2012 who wish to think deeply about:
- Who has the right to write multiculturally?
- How do we bring humility to our research?
- What audience are we writing for?
- Does the term “multicultural literature” match the needs of today’s book market?
- How is authentic cultural voice achieved?